My First Computer Program

May 2000, my parents helped me pack a few clothings and footwear, put some money in my pocket, and my dad and I traveled to the polytechnic for me to resume. And so at barely 15years old, I left Lagos for the first time to start a new phase in life.

For the 1st semester in 1st year, we had 11 courses.. 3 computer courses, 3 statistics, 2 mathematics, 2 general studies courses. 
COM 113 was titled "Introduction to BASIC programming", and it was a 4 credit course. This was the only programming course for that semester.

The weight of that course naturally caused apprehension, and newbies like us always panicked at the thought of not doing well in that course. With this in mind, tutorial centres teaching com 113 were always packed full. Some naughty seniors used this opportunity to bed naive female newbies tooπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚.
I was apprehensive too, although I knew I wouldn't fail the exam. My fear however was not getting an A in the course.

Like other newbies, I attended tutorial after tutorial, studied the lecture note countless times, but still couldn't make head or tail of the course. Lots of my sharp friends resorted to cramming all the computer codes that could fit into their head (wrongest move which killed their programming career till date). On my part, I gobbled all what I could and resigned to fate for the exam.

For the exam, one of the questions which carried the highest marks was to write a program to calculate the simple interest for a fictional account, given the values for principal, rate, and time. I did all the other questions and tackled this one last. I approached the question calmly, and at this point, all that I had learnt and studied started to come together. I was completely logical. I remembered.. you have to declare your variables first.. so i wrote..

Let principal = 15000
Let rate = 2.5
Let time = 1

Next step, introduce the formula for simple interest. So i wrote..

Let interest = (principal * rate * time)/100

Then I remembered, the computer is an input/output system. You must instruct the computer to display output before it displays it. So my next line was..

Print interest

By the time I finished writing that last line, I knew that I had got the question correct.
And that marked the start of a beautiful career in programming/software development/I.T
In short, I wrote my 1st computer program in the exam hall. I passed the course with 68 marks. The highest scorer in the course got 86 marks. That guy (we later found out) crammed computer codes and answers to the exam to lead the course. The guy never became a programmer, although he specialised in another aspect of I.T.

I learnt some lessons from this:
1. Ability to deliver under pressure is golden
2. Be calm under pressure, and your brain will figure out the solution 
3. Go the hard route, don't take shortcuts. In this case, the shortcut was to cram. The other guys did, but shortchanged themselves and denied themselves of a beautiful and rewarding career in programming.

What do u think? Comments?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HND/NYSC year

2nd job switch.. the absolute worst days of my career

1st Job Switch.. We're going on a Lion Hunt